Saturday, August 17, 2013

5 Things I Wish 'High School Naz' Knew

Next year will be my ten year high school reunion. I'm so old, y'all. It got me thinking about the person I was in high school compared to who I am today, and lets all take a second to thank the good lord almost none of y'all knew me in high school. Quite honestly, I don't even like the high school me. I was a drama queen, I was arrogant, and sometimes I was just plain ole mean. Don't get me wrong - I wasn't a cold hearted bitch, though I sound like it. I was just very content with my particular group of friends and I hated change, and new people. So here are a couple of things I wish I knew in high school so that I could have been a better person.  

1. Pay attention in class... Or in the very least, go to class. 
I skipped out of 75% of my senior year. I'd completed all the mandatory classes, so it wasn't a big deal, but I wish I'd paid attention to all those electives - I could have learned something new. For example, I might have remembered more than the alphabet from Sign Language. Or, if I'd actually gone to Tech, I might now know how to use some of the tools necessary for my love of crafts. 

2. Be more social! 
I had the same set of friends all four years of high school. I didn't add anyone in to the group and I was happy that way. I wish I'd been a bit more fearless in this area - it might have led to some lifelong friendships. Also, I was rude to people who did try to integrate themselves with my friends. I don't know why, maybe I was insecure. Either way, if I did act like a bitch toward you, I'm sorry! I also wish I'd gone to prom. Meh. 

3. Don't be afraid to love. 
I didn't have a proper relationship in high school, and I blame that completely on being insecure with myself. I'd go out with a guy. We'd be a couple for like a week, and then I'd break up with him. I mean, what was high school relationships? Walking together to class? Dancing at homecoming? A movie? I should have experienced it properly. My shortest high school relationship was one day ya'll. 

4. Be respectful toward yourself, your classmates, and the staff. 
My high school (Eleanor Roosevelt High School, bitches!) had two on-site police officers. (PG County - what, what?!?) I can't remember one of them, but the other was a guy named Officer Buerger.  I was a complete douche to this guy. He was a douche back, but still, I initiated it most of the time. I'd fuck up, he'd drag me to the office, I'd bash him the entire way. It was horrible, and I'd apologize to him if I saw him now. I also remember talking back to a couple of teachers - only when I became a teacher myself did I realize how difficult it truly is! Respecting myself basically means that I would make decisions I want to make, and not because of what everyone else was doing. I was so a 'follower' in high school. 

5. Enjoy every minute. 
Because you will definitely do bigger and better things afterwards, but it won't be high school. It won't be hallway conversations, pep rally's, or skipping school without even walking in to the building. It won't be two hour relationships, or bathroom breakdowns, or eating everything on the dollar menu with your friends. There'll be very few times afterwards where you will get away with over dramatizing a situation, but we all know the drama is the best part. Those are the memories you remember. :)

I'm feeling nostalgic. I'm going to browse my yearbook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment